During this group lesson plan, the first challenge we encountered was o choose a TreatyEd outcome that ‘fit’ with our original social studies outcome. After finding that outcome I would say that things went pretty smoothly…or so we thought. We were tasked with creating a modified indicator that would represent what we would be ‘teaching’ that class. However, this proved more difficult than we thought. We originally had one down, but after further review (by Katia) we realized it was far too vague. The goal of a modified is to be as specific as possible with regards to what you will be teaching in that specific lesson plan, and well, we just did not have ours quite ‘there’ yet. After a little more tweaking we were satisfied that we had a detailed, and to the point modified indicator. The kind of modified indicator that a substitute teacher could walk into the classroom and know exactly what she will be teaching that day. The type of modified indicator that other indicators are jealous of!
From this assignment/lesson plan I really took away how important modified indicators are. I love how you can adjust listed indicators so that they are more specific to a particular lesson plan. This way there is no question what you will be teaching that day. In addition to that, by making a modified indicator you are essentially also writing down what will be assessed – the modified indicator! I have no clue why it took me this long to catch onto what exactly a modified indicator is, but it did! Now that I know I can pretty much guarantee they will be found in every single one of my lessons from now on. I feel like they just make lesson planning easier, and just make more sense!